Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 15:15, Elton Woo wrote:
> I'm running an Athlon Thunderbird 1.0, and seem to get random lockups
> of the system. Among other things, the ability to logout or shutdown
> from withing Nautilus (I still can't *reboot* from within my user account).
>
> Usually, I can logout or shutdown from within Nautilus, at other times,
> I would select logout, and have the screen just sit there with no action
> for 5 minutes or more.
>
> I have the latest updates from RHN installed, including
> kernel-2.4.20-9. I have noticed that when booting, Shrike reports
> booting "kernel for i686". Shouldn't up2date have applied an
> athlon kernel? ... perhaps this is the problem?
>
> It appears, though, that I am not the only one with an athlon system
> who is reporting odd behavoir. I wonder if it is an incompatibility with
> Shrike and AMD Athlons in general?
>
> Elton   8<\
>
> --
>    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_4504.html
>   "You only live once, so let's make life EASIER for each other."
>   LINUX Registered User #193975. AMD-K7 ATHLON CPU power on board.

Elton,

I have an athlon thunderbird 1.0 also on a Abit KT7A-RAID that is having
random lockups.  I have not been able to track it down whatsoever.
Pretty stable under psyche and phoebe and many more lockups now with
exactly the same hardware.  It will lock to the point where I cannot ssh
to the machine.  I have had an unresolved problem since 7.2 with the
southbridge issues but this is really pushing me towards a new
motherboard and chip.

--
Matt Whiteley <matt-whiteley@xxxxxxxxx>