Obsolete packages in Red Hat 9?

Hello,

I heard a member of my local LUG say "I don't like RH9, it has too many
obsolete packages". When I asked him to be specific he listed
(translated and sinthesized from italian, I can provide the original
LUG archive URL if anybody wants it):

Quite old versions of Mozilla/Galeon
Same for some Latex package

Apache and PHP shipped in old versions (even in RH8)

Apache = 2.0.40 vs 2.0.44 in MDK 9.1, which also includes 1.3.27
	preferred in many production servers.

PHP 4.2.2 when last stable version is 4.3.1
PHP in RH 9 includes bug (signalled on bugzilla, he says) making PEAR
	DB incompatible with PostgreSQL as shipped in RH9

The reason why I'm posting this here is because the Release Notes say
nothing about these issues, and I'm curious what is the rationale for
choosing the shipped versions. Personally I don't even use some of
those packages, and the others are fine for me, not to mention the
fact that I almost always prefer stability over untested things
installed just because they are new. However, I'd like to:

	1) give to him the real reasons for those choices

	2) Since we are at this, ask if somebody thinks the same, and
	regards to which packages

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.  -Albert Einstein