Re: Pretty major stability issues with shrike

On 15 Apr 2003, Mike wrote:

> just to clarify, by upgrade, I mean a clean install, with all my files
> in /home

I have found this trick very useful in the past when upgrading or
reinstalling a system that has a separate /home partition that will
survive the upgrade/install:

$ cd
$ mkdir oldstuff
$ mv .???* oldstuff/

Do this before an upgrade (or just after one). The reasoning is that many
old config files in your home directory tend to be a wee bit unsuitable
for new apps or app versions. (The .???* filemask is a hangover from the
old days - I am too chicken to risk having a command operate on . and ..
as well ;-) )

Then log in, and check things out. You can always bring back previous
configs from ~/oldstuff/ if they are too painful to recreate.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of this trick has been (for me) KDE, but
many other apps, like gaim, galeon, etc. have also benefitted from not
being forced to emulate old version configs.

Not saying that this is a magic mantra, but it does help fix many
stability issues for me, and often lets me discover a cool new feature I
wouldn't have discovered otherwise.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397