Re: FW: Survival CD

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, M A Young wrote:

>> An example of this, is the type of bug report where a user
>> reports "X locks up my computer when I am away".  Digging deeper
>> I learn that it happens for the person about once a month and
>> just on one machine.  The user is very upset and rude in their
>> bug report as to how Red Hat could have possibly released such
>> an unstable product.
>
>Do you want bugs like this reported? I have one which pretty much exactly
>fits this description which I haven't got around to putting into bugzilla
>yet. I have more details, but probably not enough to work out what the
>problem is at the moment.

Not really.  Bug reports that are vague, are very transient, or
are not easily reproduceable tend to just fill space in the
bugzilla SQL database rather than be tremendously useful.  It is
much preferred that users experiencing such problems try to
pinpoint the problem down to something more concrete before
reporting it, or discuss the problem on XFree86 mailing lists to
try to obtain help on how to try and narrow it down.

Just try to use as good judgement as you can, and if you think
the problem you've got really is a bug, and that the problem
is likely going to be easy for someone else to reproduce, and
you can give specific details on how to do so and also include
your X server config file and log file, kernel messages file
and any other useful tidbits that might remotely be of use to
a developer investigating the problem, then file a bug report
if you like.

Also, if a given bug seems likely to be a general XFree86 bug
that is not Red Hat Linux specific, you may want to report it to
XFree86.org directly in their bugzilla: http://bugs.xfree86.org

In general, reporting a bug upstream when you've got good reason
to believe is likely generic to XFree86, and not specific to Red
Hat Linux maximizes the number of X developers who will look at
the bug report and possibly fix it.  If you also file a
tracker bug report in our bugzilla, I can track the upstream
bug report as time goes on too, and add any fixes that come out
of it into our packages, or backport them from CVS.  Another
benefit of upstream bug reporting, is that fixes get integrated
upstream much much faster, and other Linux distributions and open
source OS's benefit from the fixes sooner too.  Also, the number
of users reading the reports is cross OS and cross vendor, so
there are more eyes, and more feedback from more sources.

I've experimented a bit with refering certain types of bug
reports upstream to test the fix-rate, and it has proven to be
very good for some kinds of bug reports.

One example is almost any bug report related to the keyboard not
working properly, be it certain keys or key combinations not
working, modifier problems, currency symbols missing, missing | <
> keys, and most other keyboard related problems tend to sit
around forever in our bugzilla, but upstream they tend to get
fixed anywhere from the day they're reported to a few days or a
week later.

Ivan Pascal fixes xkb related bugs like a wild animal, and so I
recommend anyone experiencing such keyboard related bugs file
them in XFree86.org's bugzilla, and once it's fixed, open up a
bug in our bugzilla to request the fix be added to our packaging,
or just CC me on the upstream report as <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
That gets such bugs fixed very much faster both upstream, as well
as in our releases.

Another bug report type likely to be fixed upstream faster, are
DRI related bugs.  Right now, incoming DRI related bug reports on
XFree86.org get reassigned to the dri-devel mailing list, which
automatically hits every DRI developers mailbox.  That is a much
faster mechanism to get a DRI bug fixed than stuffing it in our
bugzilla so that one person (me) might look at it months from now
in my spare time perhaps if there are no higher priority tasks on
my queue.

Of course one can always file bug reports in both places and
cross reference the 2 with URLs also in order to have a given
issue tracked in both places and maximize eyes seeing the issue
even more.

Just remember to narrow a given problem down as far as you can on
your own and get as much detailed information as possible when
filing a bug report.  Include as full a description of the
problem as you can, including how reproduceable it is (please
don't say "didn't try" for reproduceability - try it, especially
if it is an oddball).  Include step by step detailed instructions
on how to reproduce, and include hardware details, X log, X
config file, kernel log, lspci output, and any possible thing
that could help a developer.  More information the better - if it
isn't needed it wont be used.  If it is needed though and it
isn't there, from a developer's view trying to drag information
out of people is like trying to find Saddam at the bottom of a
pile of rubble.  <grin>

Anyhow, I hope this provides some helpful insight into when, how,
where, and why to report X bugs.

Take care,
TTYL