USB Storage Problem (smart media reader)

I have an Olympus Smart Media Reader which is recognized by my RHL9
system.

scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'Olympus' 'Camedia MAUSB-2' '0100' Removable Disk

I can mount it using

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia

and read the data from the drive.

However, anytime I do this, when I reboot the computer I get a series of
error messages with a long wait time between successive messages of the
form:
SCSI disk error: host 0 channel 0 id - lun 0 return code = 70000
  I/O error dev = 08:01, sector 12777xx

Reboot finally continues after a number of these messages.

It does not seem to matter whether I've issued a umount before reboot,
or whether the smartmedia card is still in the reader or not.  If I
haven't mounted the drive during a session, there are no error messages.

This behaved the same way in RHL8.0, and I believe also in RHL7.3, but
I'm not sure about the latter.

I also cannot successfully change the smartmedia from one size (8MB) to
another (64MB) and read the second card.

Does anyone know how to get this device to work properly without these
errors?

Thanks.

Gerry Tool

p.s. Excuse me if this appears twice, I submitted it with the wrong
e-mail address the first time.