Re: Installation Hints?

At 01:29 AM 4/12/2003 +0300, you wrote:
> I was going to do a M$ 2000 home server replacement/upgrade installation
> but observed the 400MHz CPU, 850MB hdd space, 192MB ram minimum OS/app
> requirements.  Wow, so much for skinny servers!

Those requirements are for graphical workstation, a server needs less
CPU/memory resources.

I have a P166 with 64MB or RAM and a 1GB hard disk running the following services on Red Hat 8.0:

* DNS using BIND
* SMTP using Sendmail
* POP3/IMAP4
* FTP using vsftpd
* Web proxy using squid
* DHCP
* Gateway/firewall using iptables and Shorewall
* Print server using Samba

It serves five to eight people usually, on a 256 Kbps link to the Internet. Runs like a charm, hasn't been rebooted in about 90 days, and is trouble-free. Of course, it does not run X but is strictly a text install, and uses less than 300MB of hard disk space for this. The remaining 700MB on the disk are roughly 200MB for the web cache and 500MB for sharing files.

Definitely can be done.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx