Re: shrike and voodoo2 acelerators

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Sergio Enrique Schvezov wrote:

>Hi there, can anyone give me any tips about installing shrike on a machine
>that has an add-on acelerator card (voodoo2), the main card is a sis540. Will
>it get detected or do i have to do some mods to get some aceleration in X?
>Any chances of getting to play quake2 with aceleration?

Out of the box, Voodoo II hardware is not supported in any
version of Red Hat Linux.  XFree86 source code has a driver
"glide" for Voodoo I/II which is 2D only (yes, I mean 2D, that's
not a typo) and requires Glide2 to be installed on the system.
The "glide" XFree86 driver coupled with the Glide2 3Dfx library
provides working very slow 2D support with no acceleration since
it is implemented by an ugly hack which renders a 3D texture to
the screen.

If you want 3D support for this card, there is a 3Dfx HOWTO
document out there which has instructions on how to get the
Voodoo I/II cards working with old games like Quake/Quake II,
however this old hardware can not be used in XFree86 as a general
3D accelerator due to it's vintage.

In short, if you're looking for 3D support, you're best off just
buying a supported 3D card for $20 or more depending on your
budget.  If you're looking for an extra 2D head, you're best off
just buying a supported 2D/3D card for $20 or more depending on
your budget.  ;o)

If you're determined to get a Voodoo II to work as a secondary 2D
head you can download Glide2 (no, the Glide3 that comes with the
distribution already is not compatible or useable with a 3Dfx
Voodoo I/II, you really do need Glide2) and you can edit the
XFree86.spec file and enable the "glide' driver, then rebuild
XFree86.

Note however that doing this is unsupported by Red Hat, however
if you experience problems you can try the xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
mailing list for help.

Hope this helps.