Re: Procmail and Spamassassin

On Thursday, Apr 10, 2003, at 07:26 US/Pacific, shrike-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Subject: Procmail and Spamassassin
From: "D. D. Brierton" <darren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 14:46:20 +0100

I think that I might be being a complete idiot here, but I've never used
procmail before. The only reason I am trying to use it is because it
looks like the easiest way to use Spamassassin.

I think you are correct on that one.

I am running postfix, fetchmail and evolution. The spamassassin daemon
starts up at boot. I created a .procmailrc file like this:

# begin ~/.procmailrc
INCLUDERC=/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc
# end ~/.procmailrc

Your file /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc should contain something like this:

:0fw
* < 256000
|/usr/local/bin/spamassassin -P -p /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

:0 H
mail/Trash

That scans any message under 250K, runs it through SpamAssassin with the rule set defined in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf. If a message comes back with X-Spam-Status: Yes, it is moved to the Trash folder. Adjust yours accordingly (if you want to put it in a 'Spam' folder for inspection).

But no X-Spam headers are being added to any of my mail. I presume that
I have to do more than just create a .procmailrc file to get procmail to
work, but what?

You are correct again. Procmail needs to know what to do with the messages to get them to SpamAssassin for tagging. The above works for me quite well (though I actually use a per-account SpamAssassin rule set).
--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>