Re: upgrading form RHL 7.3 to RHL 9

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Dene Ulmschneider wrote:

> Hi there all-
>
> I am currently running a system with RHL 7.3 and want to upgrade to RHL 9.
> I have never done an upgrade on a Red Hat system before and would like to
> ask if there is anything that I should know regarding the upgrade.
>
> My biggest concern is overwriting anything that I already have setup on the
> system. Right now it is only used a monitoring system for the internal
> network using Nagios. This in turn required changes to some key system
> files like the httpd.conf file as well as some others. Will all of these

It wont over write httpd.conf but if its a hefty one used with virtuals
etc it wont work (or at least didnt here) the best best is to migrate your
settings onto the new conf it creates and then backup old and rename new
to current.
If you use php, with hte default RH apache 2 install, you'll have to go
backwards to php 4.2.2

The only other things we found needed a recompile was
lynx with ssl, and re-add your RBL's into sendmail, oh and eggdrop
needed a recompile as well, our vHost suite needed a re-install (but this
is transparent its like an upgrade, just needs to know the new perl stuff
thats all, no config changes needed, so 4 or so things out of all on an
upgrade from 7.3 directly to 9,  note that our DNS and News Servers
(running DNews) upgraded without a single thing needing change

Only thing is adduser will not create a new user with a period in it, this
has been logged with bugzilla, you can login if you're already in the
system passwd file like that, you just can't create one at the moment.

> changes be over written? Will I have to configure Nagios again? If so - is
No idea on that one

> there a way that I can "preserve" the current config and then replace it
> after the upgrade or is it not worth the effort?

Backup....
rule Number 1 on upgrades, BAckup
Rule number 2 is also backup
Rule number 3-10 is read rule 1 and 2 again :)

--
-Res

Micro$oft-: Destruction of theory "You get what you pay for"