Re: Switching CDRW ... Acer, another option please!

> Michael Smith wrote:
>> Are you burning the iso images as a single file, or creating a cd from
>> the iso images?
>
> I've done mostly ISO files. But for the files that I made CDRs of, it
> had like results.
>
> I'm getting ready to burn a CDR with all ogg files on it. I'll report
> what it does on my work machine.
>
> I haven't ever looked for an update to the burner's firmware yet. It
> might need an upgrade.
>
> My ACER burner is a 12x8x32 speed unit. I got it when I was still using
> a 166 MHz packard bell machine.
>
> It worked great until I upgraded to 8.0. Then there were disc errors
> present. At first, I wrote it off as a bad cd reader within my laptop.
> Then I saw errors on my work XP machine and on audio CDRs that I have
> burned. Before 8, they all worked excellent.
>
> My reader is whatever comes with a PowerSpec computer. It is 52x max. It
>  checksummed my phoebe discs alright. It was erratic with trying to
> install with them though. Sometimes the screen went blank and I had to
> ctl-alt-del my way out of the installer.
>
> The same discs failed mediacheck on my laptop 490CDT Toshiba. They
> hunted and gave all sorts of errors. The discs would boot, but the discs
>  weren't good to install with.
>
> I tried to burn the discs on RH7.3 and the discs didn't fail the
> mediacheck on my laptop and then burned the same ISO for a test on
> phoebe3. It was full of errors. Except, I killed magicdev before the
> burning, so there were a few less erros reported on the disc. But not
> good enough to use.
>
> Jim

For what it's worth I have an ACER CDR that I bought last Oct.  It was
working great and then I started getting some strange errors that I
attributed to bad media.  All of a sudden the the writer couldn't read any
media.  I took and back and they replaced it.

Gerry