Re: why linux might be a tough sell in some markets ...

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 09:42, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   and just in time for those of you who need a little chuckle
> this morning, i present an excerpt from a 2002 article, showing
> why trying to sell linux as cheaper/more reliable/more secure,
> etc. to IT might not work if you're dealing with truly luddite
> computerphobes.
>
>   i have removed all identifying info from this snippet, to
> let you imagine what effect this individual had on his new
> organization -- i'll post full, identifying info later.
>
>   "Former XXX Director XXXXXXX XXXXXX was himself notoriously
> technology-averse -- he had the computer removed from his office when he
> took over XXXXXX, and he never began using email. When he left in June
> 2001, the standard issue XXXXXX computers were 386 or 486 PCs -- machines
> that were obsolete by the mid-1990s."

FBI Director Louis Freeh

http://www.ndol.org/blueprint/2002_jul_aug/11_failure.html

Old news -- that article was published July 2002.

How is this related to the installation, configuration, or use of Red
Hat Linux 9 really baffles me though, Rob.  Might I suggest you consider
an alternate forum for political discussion.  (Contact me off-list if
you need some suggestions.)

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |