Re: How to change to new menu format on upgrade?

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 02:35, Kent Pirkle wrote:
> After upgrading from 8.0->9 my menus have retained the 8.0 styles (one
> "Extras" menu instead of multiple "More" menus). How can I change to the
> new style without wiping out custom or 3rd party menu changes
> (games,etc)?

The menu structure is defined by an xml file. The default system-level
menu is /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu. A custom user-level
menu would be found at ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info. If
the second file exists, it will be used to create the menu, rather than
the applications.menu file. If all your modifications are to that file,
back it up, copy applications.menu to your vfolders directory as
applications.vfolder-info and sync up any changes that were made.

If the system-level menu was changed and not overwritten during the
upgrade, you'll need to get the new applications.menu file out of the
redhat-menus package. Quickest way may be to move the current
applications.menu file and reinstall redhat-menus, then compare the two
files and restore whatever changes you want to preserve.

For some more info on how the menus are built and how to change them
under 8.0/9, see http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>