Re: HOWTO / WHERE TO - RealOne Player & plugger

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

>>  > [root@xxx lib]# pwd
>>  > /usr/X11R6/lib
>>  > [root@xxx lib]# ln -s libXm.so.3.0.1 libXm.so.2
>>  > [root@xxx lib]# ldconfig
>>
>>  Dusan, you are yoking, are you?
>
>No, I'm not. I just tried that way, and it worked. Actually, i get small
>window with RealOne player, that maybe isn't working perfectly :)

If it works at all with any application it is pure luck.  The
entire point of shared libraries being version numbered, is that
major version bumps are incompatible with each other.  This
allows multiple versions to be installed simultaneously and apps
that need one or the other will run correctly.

What you are doing is saying "version 3.0.1 of this library, is
100% compatible with version 2 of this library".

Apps that end up working do so only due to luck.  Don't be
surprised to have other applications break massively when you
randomly symlink one so to another.

>Usually I solve lib dependecies this way, so I am not quiet sure is it
>workin properly. I am quiet busy now, I will test it later and post
>what happened.

That is not a dependancy 'solution'.  It is an ugly hack which
may work ok for an appliacation or two here or there that hit
parts of a library that just luckily happen to have compatible
interfaces.  What you are really doing though is setting up a
sleeping time bomb that will destabilize your system.

In short folks - don't do this - ever.  Get the proper version of
the required library, and install it.  If version 5 of library
foo was binary compatible with version 4.x of library foo, then
it would not be version 5, it would be version 4.(x+1).

Hope this helps.