Re: Totally frustrated with CD Burning!

On April 7, 2003 09:25 am, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
		... (edited) ...
> Thanks to those who have helped so far. This does look more and more
> like an ide-scsi issue.
        ... (edited) ...

Hoping this might be of help to you:

1) I have Shrike installed (NO updates so far).
2) *My* hardware setup:
Primary Master=/dev/hda (Quantum hd)
Primary Slave=/dev/hdb (LS-120 drive, alias "floppy")
Secondary Master=/dev/hdc (TEAC  CDRW)
Secondary Slave=/dev/hdd (Pioneer DVD-ROM)
Motherboard: ASUS ATX A7V-E-KT133 CPU:AMD Thunderbird 1.0G
System memory:512 Mb

I *strongly suggest* using CDRW disks, until you get the situation
in hand. That way, if your CD burning fails, the disks can be
recovered.

So far, I have written and erased CDRW disks at least six times
without any problems. NOTE: I have NOT done so from the
command-line, but using either X-CD-Roast or Gnome Toaster.
... running under the GNOME desktop.

Magicdev *is* running on my system. Naturally, when I reload
a freshly erased disk, a Nautilus "burn" window will pop up.
I would close the window, and proceed with the burn from
X-CD Roast. (In this case one has to be "fast on the draw" and
start the burn process before the pop-up window actually appears!
... especially when it is a CD with data that you wish to erase <G>)

Instead of that, just open the System Monitor and end / kill the
magicdev process, so it doesn't interfere with your burning / erasure.

I haven't tried any music CD burns yet, though.

Lastly, *IGNORE* the flamers on the list.

Their posts add nothing positive to the discussion here. It is quite
easy to say "RTFM", but there are *tons* of references in the linux world,
and one can easily miss previously posted information.

Thankfully, my initial requests for help in other fora have always
been met with friendly,*patient*, and HELPFUL responses, rather
than insults. Had I been treated as you have been here, I would
have given up on linux.

IMNSHO, I think you have been the victim of trolls.

Good luck, and do not be deterred from your voyage into the linux
experience by the arrogant among us. Mercifully, they are NOT
in the majority.

cheers,

Elton Woo ;-)