Re: Fubar'd Openssh? (was: Re: shrike] Re: CD Burning still a losing proposition)

joe said:

> William Hooper wrote:
>
>>J Sloan said:
>>[snip]
>>

>>>(then replace the fubar'd openssh -)
>>>
>>>Joe
>>>

>>Care to elaborate on this comment?
>>
> Sure -
>
> RH ships openssh with the well known
> linux hang bug - there seems to be a
> lot of debate over whether it should be
> called a bug, but in any event it's sure
> a royal PITA for sys admins -
>
> 1. ssh into a server.
> 2. start or restart some server process
> 3. log out - oops, you're stuck, can't exit!
>
> There are a number of tedious procedures
> one might employ to mitigate the effects,
> but by far the easiest solution is to install
> fully functional ssh packages.
>
> openssh rpms with the no-hang patch
> are available for those who would like
> them at:
>
> ftp://ftp.mainphrame.com/fixes/openssh/

Are you referring to this:
http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.10

If so I would have to agree with Matthias that the scripts are to blame.
I've seen some posts to the OpenSSH list about this and the OpenSSH people
say it is acting as designed.  I would have to guess that the "no-hang
patch" cure might be worse than the disease.

Oh well, I don't mean to start a flame war, I was just wondering what you
were referring to.
--
William Hooper