Re: Totally frustrated with CD Burning!

On April 6, 2003 11:22 am, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I'm now 100% frustrated with attempts to burn CDs on Shrike. I have
>
> I get no errors in the burning process, regardless of the speed of the
> burn (8X to 52X). Burning Shrike ISOs produces CDs that consistently
> fail media tests and do not work in install.

   ... have you 1) run md5sums against the ISO images *before* burning
them?

> My system is self-built: An ASUS P4S8X motherboard running a 2.53GHz P4
> with 1GB RAM. My CD-RW is a Memorex 52X/24X/52X EIDE drive. I also have
> a Sony DVD-ROM drive. These to units share an IDE channel where the Sony
> is set to "master" and the Memorex is "slave". Video is an NVidia
> GeForce 4Ti 4200 with NVidia's drivers installed. I have Shrike
> installed with all of the latest from up2date.

Might I suggest: connect the CDRW as Master, with the DVD as slave.
I have Shrike installed (no updates yet). On my system, my CDRW and
DVD are Secondary Master and Slave IDE drives.

I've burned / erased several CDs on Shrike with success, now
... using X-CD-Roast, or Gnome Toaster. With the former, you
can verify the burn against the original files.

Naturally, when you load a blank CD in the drive, magicdev will load
a blank Nautilus "burn" window. Either you have to be 'fast on the
draw" and start your burn / blanking with X-CD-Roast, OR better yet,
use the System Monitor to disable magicdev.

HTH,

Elton ;-)