Re: P.S. ipchains

From: "D. D. Brierton" <darren@xxxxxxxxxxx>

http://ipmasq.cjb.net/
> > and read what they have to offer.
> > You do want to plan your firewall setup. Many utilities exist to help.
>
> Well I was hoping for something pretty simple, because this stuff
> confuses me no end. Basically the ONLY connections I want to allow are
> from VMware VMs running on the same machine. Therefore I was really
> hoping that redhat-config-securitylevel would do it for me. I just don't
> understand the relationship between "Trusted devices" and "Allow
> incoming".

Some of the links point to simple configuration tools.

The absolute simplest way to achieve the simple task you mentioned
above is to isolate the machine by unplugging any network wire on any
of its NICs. Then the only connections possible are from VM to VM or
VM to host even if you do not run a firewall. I am sure you want more
than this. Defining what you want takes you a long way down the road
to getting what you want.

Trusted machines are those machines you want to let communicate with
your machine. They would be machines on your local network but not
on the Internet at large, most likely.

{^_^}