Re: P.S. ipchains

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 16:55, jdow wrote:
> You do not need ipchains.
> You do not want ipchains.

Thought as much. Thanks for confirming it.

> Before making any changes:
>
> You do want to visit http://www.netfilter.org/ and http://ipmasq.cjb.net/
> and read what they have to offer.
> You do want to plan your firewall setup. Many utilities exist to help.

Well I was hoping for something pretty simple, because this stuff
confuses me no end. Basically the ONLY connections I want to allow are
from VMware VMs running on the same machine. Therefore I was really
hoping that redhat-config-securitylevel would do it for me. I just don't
understand the relationship between "Trusted devices" and "Allow
incoming".

> When you have the iptables firewall script first draft hammered out:
>
> You do want to "service ipchains stop" then "rpm -e ipchains".
> You do want to run iptables, "service iptables start" and
> "chkconfig iptables on".

I've stopped and removed ipchains. iptables and ip6tables are already
running.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com