Re: How to check *CDROM* correctness?

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 01:05, jdow wrote:

> David, the point is it does work. Long ago the FM that I executed an
> RTFM upon, declared -dao is the correct means of writing an ISO image
> for a Red Hat release. So I used that option and had no problems. But,
> evidence on this list suggests wither the FM has been changed, lost,
> forgotten or all too many here cannot R the FM for one reason or
> another.

Isn't there some sort of make-believe rule that says when you invoke the
"FM" argument, you should have already shut up? If not, there should be.
I tell you what, you and every one else that communicates in an open
forum about Linux: the next time you want to tell someone that (to
paraphrase) "it's all in the friendly manual," then kindly give them
WHAT manual and WHERE to FIND it. If you're so darned smart, and have
such great recall, then quote chapter and verse for me. I'd like to know
for future reference. You say, it's in the FM. Great. That's reeaaal
helpful. WHICH "manual?" At latest count, there are 6 official ones that
you can download from Red Hat. That doesn't count all of the
documentation listed in /usr/share/doc. And that doesn't take into
consideration the man pages, or the info docs. Nor does it take into
account the HOWTO's and mini-HOWTO's on tldp.org. So fine, jdow. Where
exactly was that information? I read all the live-long day. Looking in
every spot I can. I used to read for fun when I was a kid. Now, I don't
even want to read a newspaper. After reading and searching all day
through the aforementioned places, obscure web pages, newsgroups, and
email lists like this one for answers to problems that I wouldn't even
have if I would just drop $200 for a stinkin' copy of XP, I don't want
to read any more. Once in awhile, those of you who are so smart and
smarmy to run around telling everyone RTFM, would you please just give
me the benefit of the doubt and cut me a break? I looked for information
on this issue for the better part of *4* hours. I ran several tests on
my own trying to figure out what was going on. I didn't get it. Fine. I
FAILED. Does that make you feel better? Thanks for all your insight.
Michael Schwendt was kind enough to explain the situation for everyone's
benefit hours ago.

dk