Re: How to check *CDROM* correctness?

From: "David Krider" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 08:47, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > What is written above is misinformation. At least partly.
>
> So to sum up your correction to my "partial misinformation"... As if I
> were going about, purposely telling people wrong things...
>
> > If you don't refer to rare times when "cat /dev/cdrom > image.iso"
> > ends too early, you probably refer to run-out sectors at the end of
> > a disc.
>
> I specifically said that I didn't know where the problem lies, only that
> it didn't work.
>
> <Lots of very useful and interesting info snipped.>
>
> Indeed, I was getting I/O errors at the end of my efforts to `md5sum
> /dev/cdrom'. According to your instructions, unless you've specifically
> taken care to write the disk in DAO mode (and I didn't), you are going
> to run into problems. (Or very likely, even in the case of specifying
> "-pad".) The problem is that the original poster specifically said that
> the disks he cared about were burnt in Windows, and who knows how that
> was done with any number of different burning software packages.
>
> So the problem remains. For all your explanation, using `md5sum
> /dev/cdrom' STILL doesn't work in the general case.
>
> If you can't tell, I really take offense at your characterization of my
> post. Especially since it doesn't change anything in regards to the
> original subject at hand.

David, the point is it does work. Long ago the FM that I executed an
RTFM upon, declared -dao is the correct means of writing an ISO image
for a Red Hat release. So I used that option and had no problems. But,
evidence on this list suggests wither the FM has been changed, lost,
forgotten or all too many here cannot R the FM for one reason or
another.

{^_^}