Re: no sound in TuxRacer?

Charles Griffin wrote:

--- "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wrong. I suggest you investigate what kind of sound
it is that tuxracer uses first.

Mike,

Everything I have read regarding this issue in the
psyche list archives and in bugzilla seemed to
indicate it was a bug, not an intentional decision. However, I infer from your response that there was
some legitimate reasoning behind the removal of sound
from tuxracer, evidently something akin to the mp3
plugin issue. If that's the case, then I stand
corrected. I understand (and support) RH's stance on
the mp3 plugin issue so I can understand RH's stance
on tuxracer if it presents a similar issue.

Charles there were legitimate reasons to remove mpeg decoding from the distribution because of licensing/patent issues. However, it appears that the sound effects are in .wav format and the music in .it format (impulse tracker format whatever that is). Apparently both of these can be decoded independently of a mpeg decoder. Therefore, it is a bug if tuxracer ships compiled against an mpeg decoder library which does not exist in the distribution and when a working alternative exists. In essence the mpeg issue is independent of tuxracer sound working.

--
Paul (ganci@xxxxxxxxxx)