esd lockups

Hi list,

I've just installed RH9 on a new box, an E-machines T2200. The
installation, and post installation detection of the motherboard
soundcard indicates I have a VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller, which is
handled by the via82cxxx_audio module.

With the sound preference set to 'Enable sound server startup' and
'Sounds for events', I'll get one or two sounds played correctly, and
then no more until I 'kill -s 9' the esd process. When esd is locked up,
it is not possible to open new windows, since the window open sound
needs to be played, and esd cannot play it.

I can play mp3's in XMMS by changing the output plugin from eSound to
OSS. Until I do that, I can play slightly less than 1 second of any mp3
before esd locks up. However, esd appears to be required for window
manager sound effects.

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution or workaround?

Thanks,

--