Re: no sound in TuxRacer?

On Saturday 05 April 2003 04:59 am, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
> Charles Griffin wrote:

> >I seem to recall in 8.0 that Tuxracer was compiled w/o
> >sound support so maybe that's what has happened here.
>
> Yes, this happened to me too ... seems to be bug 68763 all over again?

Actually, it's not a bug. Red Hat removed mpeg support from the
distribution. This includes Loki's open source smpeg library.

> I worked around this problem by applying this disgusting hack:
>
> 1.) cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
> 2.) Dowload tuxracer-0.61-19.src.rpm from rawhide
> 3.) rpm -ivh tuxracer-0.61-19.src.rpm
> 4.) cd ../SOURCES
> 5.) tar -jxvf tuxracer-0.61.tar.bz2
> 6.) patch -p0 <tuxracer-0.61-config.patch
> 7.) tar -jcvf tuxracer-0.61.tar.bz2 tuxracer-0.61
> 8.) rm -rf tuxracer-0.61
> 9.) cd ../SPECS
> 10.) rpmbuild -bb tuxracer.spec

The patch applies fine when the package is built. (Had the patch failed,
rpm would have let you know.) If you are now getting sound, I've no idea
why, as it shouldn't work. The real problem is that tuxracer requires the
smpeg libraries for sound. They haven't been part of the distribution
since Red Hat Linux 7.3

> The build will proceed, but you will be warned:
>
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
>
> Answer y and the build will proceed.
[...]
> Voila ... if you are as lucky as I was you will have tux racer with
> sound.
>
> It appears to me that the tuxracer-0.61-config.patch is not being
> applied. As a result a straight build of tux racer results in no sound
> because the SDL_mixer can not be found. Explicitly applying the patch
> to the configure file seems to fix this build problem.
>
> Let me know if this works out for you. You will need a machine with
> compilers and development libraries of course.

I installed the smpeg and smpeg-devel rpm packages from the Red Hat Linux
7.3 disks. I made no changes at all other than installing the smpeg
packages, and the package builds and works fine.

Here is the relevant portion of the build log without smpeg installed:

checking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config
checking for SDL - version >= 1.0.1... yes
checking for SDL_JoystickOpen... yes
checking for Mix_OpenAudio in -lSDL_mixer... no
*** SDL_mixer not found.  Configuring without audio support.

And now, with smpeg installed:

checking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config
checking for SDL - version >= 1.0.1... yes
checking for SDL_JoystickOpen... yes
checking for Mix_OpenAudio in -lSDL_mixer... yes
checking for GL library... yes

Hope that helps,
- --
- -Michael