redhat-config-printer? Feh.

I went through a bunch of trouble trying to get the /etc/cupsd.conf file
specified so that I could browse, print to, and administer printers from
across the network. (I would have thought this would be the default
anyway.)

Then I ran redhat-config-printer, and it blew all those customizations
away.

I just have an old dual-PPro for my file-and-print server, so I didn't
install X on it, let alone Gnome or KDE. (Besides, unless they've
suddenly put in support for 7-year-old crap video cards in the latest
release of XFree, I'm pretty sure I'm still hosed as 7.3 wouldn't get a
working display on it.) So I don't have the fancy-schmancy newfangled
Gtk2-using redhat-config-printer-gui. No, it just runs the "-tui"
version when I call the command. And that's all I wanted. (And, no, I
didn't want to waste my limited disk space installing X _and_ a bunch of
Gnome2 libraries _just_ for redhat-config-printer.)

It seems the text version doesn't have widgets to enable printer sharing
or for allowing browsing, like I see the gui version does (in the
manual). Am I missing something here? Is there a way to use a redhat
admin tool to administrate my printers (and allow browsing and remote
printing), and NOT have to edit cupsd.conf by hand afterward? If not,
then I think Red Hat needs to hit the drawing board again with
redhat-config-printer-tui. I guess I'm no worse off than without Red
Hat's work on redhat-config-printer-gui -- I'm back to editing flat
files by hand (and that's ok) -- I just think that this helpful feature
is only half-done.

Thanks and regards,
dk