metacity questions

Hey all.  I've just set up a box with RH9 and so far I'm pretty happy with
it.  I'd tried RH8.0 and found it to be a complete disaster.  I'm quite
happy that 9 really seems to be a .1 in sheep's clothing. :-)

There's a couple of things I was able to accomplish with Sawfish under 7.3
that I haven't yet found a way to do in Metacity that I'm hoping some
folks here can point me to.  First is I've got a series of keyboard
shortcuts (that aren't all that short...) that let me type phrases with a
single compound keypress.  I accomplished that with the following snippet
from sawfish:

	(defun send-string-to-window (w string)
	  (interactive "%W\nsEnter string:")
	  (let loop ((i 0))
	    (unless (= i (length string))
	      (synthesize-event (lookup-event (substring string i (1+ i))) w)
	      (loop (1+ i)))))

	(bind-keys global-keymap "M-C-U" '(send-string-to-window (input-focus) "blalor"))

Is there any way I can accomplish the same thing with Metacity?

Second, I much prefer viewports to workspaces.  Does Metacity/Gnome2
support this feature?

Lastly, is there a way to bind Alt-Mouse2 to raise/lower a window?  The
config panel didn't seem to allow that, either.

Ok, I lied, there's one more thing (for now): it seems that there's some
funkiness with gnome-terminal.  From my RH9 desktop I'm ssh'ing into a
remote 7.3 box and from there into another 7.3 box (a laptop).  When I use
less or more on a file, the display is all screwed up; ^L doesn't work to
redraw the screen when TERM is xterm (the default) or vt100.  On the first
machine I ssh into, less and more work fine.  I've never had this problem
before.  Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,

      Brian Lalor                 |    http://introducingthelalors.org/
  blalor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (email)  |  blalor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (jabber)
                        N33°29.18' W111°56.55' (Earth)