Re: Changing gnome menu icon?

David Krider wrote:

This whole business of the Gnome project employing a "registry" is
really bothersome to me. Who among us -- indeed, who among Gnome
developers -- likes to go in and hack on a Windows registry? Microsoft
even has a pretty decent editor for it. It's just that the concept leads
one to having a whole bunch of interconnected-yet-disparate settings
that become hard to find. Maybe I'm tilting at windmills. I hope someone
will say that the Gnome registry is (and will *always* be) different. I
say that one of the strengths of KDE is the ability to customize it and
lock it down through flat text files. With the press that's been
generated about how Sun is going to be using Gnome as their desktop
environment, I would think that that sort of customizability and
security are available even so, but I somehow doubt it. Can anyone speak
to these concerns?

Gconf is text files. The heirchy is in the filesystem, and the keys are XLM entries. Look in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/global/%gconf.xml with a text edit (beter if it/you understand XLM tags:)

-Thomas