Re: OpenOffice.org program fonts do not look as good as previously

On Friday, Apr 4, 2003, at 04:12 US/Pacific, shrike-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

OpenOffice is about to get even even better. Peek through this:

<http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/XimianOOo/img0.html>

Those Ximian folks couldn't possibly be MORE full of themselves. Made it
run and made it build.. Nope, it wouldn't compile or run before they worked
on it. Gimme a break.

Well, I was referring mostly to the much better appearance part (it actually looks like a Gnome app, rather than the fugly beast it currently is), along the same lines of the original post regarding how fonts looked.

And by the way, some of those Ximian folks are some of the primary contributors to Gnome. And one other thing; converting OO to look like other GTK+ apps (changing based on your personal theme) and use fontconfig isn't exactly a small feat. It wouldn't compile or build w/GTK+ and fontconfig before they worked on it. They also integrated it w/CUPS and Gnome VFS (so you can directly open docs off NFS & SMB shares). I wouldn't knock them unless you really understand what they've done. And the last statement in the slide show is "Mostly just glue tying together the incredible work from the Sun / OO.o and Gnome teams over so long."

But if you think those Ximian folks are so full of themselves, please feel free to continue using the hideous, slow, non-standard version of OO.o; I'll use Ximian's version when it's available.
--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>