Re: prelink and rpm

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 03:37:35AM -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> The reason why it is not enabled in Shrike is that it was not enabled
> early enough in the beta cycle (at that point prelink did not work
> with TLS in libc, so could not be enabled).
> I hope we'll enable it in the next beta cycle.

Jakub,

When you say "not enabled" do you mean that the distro itself was
not prelinked in the distributed RPMS?  Is that the intention for
future releases -- to distribute the executable code in the RPMS
prelinked so it "just works"?

In RHL 8.0, it was taking me about 25 seconds to re-login into GNOME
(i.e., with a warm cache) on an 800 MHz Celeron.  So I prelinked, but
noted that there were lots of GNOME-related lib warnings about implicit
dependencies, so I didn't expect much speed up.  Nevertheless, this
reduced re-login to 6-7 seconds.

Regards,

    Bill Rugolsky