Re: prelink and rpm

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:40:20PM -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2003 10:27 pm, Matt Wilson wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:23:39AM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > > Does prelink works automatically with rpm? (prelink the newly
> > > installed binaries/libs) Or do i have to configure something for
> > > that?
> >
> > No, you have to run it after you install a binary.  One way to make it
> > automated is to run prelink in a cron job.
>
> What's the argument against, say, RPM automatically running prelink any
> time a package installs files to /lib and /usr/lib?

If you want to wait 20 minutes after each rpm -i, then there is no
argument against it.

> That sounds like a more generally useful feature than the building of
> debug RPM.

The way IMHO prelink should work is from a cron job, say nightly,
either checking if any package has been installed in the last day
and if so, run prelink in the --fast mode (to be implemented yet),
which would just check timestamps of all libraries and binaries
in the database and redo only what changed since last time.
Maybe weekly it could do a normal full blown prelink checking,
to catch manually installed programs/libraries etc.
(Note --fast mode is only planned, not implemented yet).

The reason why it is not enabled in Shrike is that it was not enabled
early enough in the beta cycle (at that point prelink did not work
with TLS in libc, so could not be enabled).
I hope we'll enable it in the next beta cycle.

	Jakub