Re: XMMS and arts output

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 16:22, Charles Wright wrote:
> Has anyone else had trouble getting XMMS to play using the arts driver?
> When I try, I get
>
> arts_init error: loading the aRts backend "/usr/lib/libartscbackend.la" failed
>
> printed on the console.  The libartscbackend.la isn't in /usr/lib.  Do I
> need to install some other package (arts is already installed, I'm using
> KDE), or tell XMMS to look somewhere else for the library?  Or is this a
> bug?
>
> It's not really a problem for me.  The esound plugin doesn't sound
> so great, but the OSS one works just fine.
>
> -charles

Try installing arts-devel. There seems to be a common theme running
through KDE 3.1 in RH9, install the -devel of every time or it might not
work. Because the program wants the .la, but it got packaged in the
-devel. I have already run into this with Desktop Sharing. I am now
expecting to see a mass errata of KDE 3.1 for RH9. Of course I could be
wrong and it is just a problem with the arts and kdenetwork packages.