RE: Mail Virtual Hosting

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 03:20, Blessing Kamutande wrote:
> Thank you.
> That seemed to work, but if I put the domains that I'm virtual hosting mail
> for in the /etc/mail/local-host-names and when I run Sendmail in test mode
> i.e.  Sendmail -bt  then 3,0 test@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:test@xxxxxxxxxxx>  is
> says delivery: local: test, Yet I want the delivery to be SMTP since I'm
> virtual hosting and this mail should then be sent to respective domains when
> they login through dial up and issue the ertn mailserver.com.
> Also mail is bouncing back to senders when they send to these virtual
> domains saying unknown user. e.g. if I send mail to person@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:person@xxxxxxxxxxx>  the message bounces back because Sendmail says
> unknown recipient, yet it's suppose to just queue mail for domain windose,
> until windose dials up to retrieve all  its mail
>
> How do I setup the above scenario?? Please help me, I plead with you. This
> is sort of an ISP situation.
> I really appreciate your help.
> TIA

Any domain name listed in local-host-names will cause sendmail to select
the "local" mailer (as you have discovered using sendmail -bt). If the
user does not exist locally, then sendmail would issue a DSN stating
unknown user (again, as you have discovered).

Based on my understanding of your post, it sounds like you need to
implement a combination of sendmail's virtusertable feature and/or
mailertable feature to achieve your goals. Especially if your wanting to
queue mail for later delivery using ETRN. The redhat supplied
sendmail.cf already has these features enabled, you just need to add the
appropriate entries to the virtusertable/mailertable config files. See
either /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README or the following sendmail link for
a description of how to configure these features:
http://www.sendmail.org/%7Eca/email/doc8.12/cf/m4/index.html

BTW: Have you read the virtual hosting link at sendmail.org???
http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html

Steve Cowles