Digital output on LCD display

I put a flat-panel LCD display on my linux box
over the weekend, but I'm struggling with how
to tune the image. I can't seem to get my video
card to kick into digital output mode, and analog
output mode yields a warbly image.

	System info:
	. Dell 1702FP display
	. ATI Radeon 7500 video card
	. Redhat 8.0

I was hoping to just run xf86config, but I guess
it needs some tweaks. For what it's worth, when
xf86config probes the monitor, it reports the
correct model number, but indicates analog mode
in parentheses.

So ... questions:

. Do I need to do anything in particular to force
  my video card into digital mode? For instance,
  does it matter whether I plug both VGA and DVI
  cables into the card?

. Are the xf86 server and radeon drivers that ship
  with redhat 8.0 recent enough to support these
  monitors? I'm running a recent 2.4 kernel, so
  presumably the driver is pretty up-to-date.

. Anybody know a better forum to answer these sorts
  of questions? What's the most likely component to
  need tweaking here? The monitor itself? The video
  driver? The X server?

Thanks in advance.

--
Gary Cote