Re: Question

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 02:15 am, Sanea, Waleed wrote:
> I am a new member in this mailing list, and hopefully I will benefit a
> lot from your valuable posted messages. However, I have a problem in my
> Linux Redhat 8 with the USB mass storage. When I plug it and format to
> vfat (FAT 32), and then try to write to it, I get an error!. One more
> thing is that when I plug this mass storage in windows 2000 and format
> it using FAT32, and then write files to it (txt file or whatever type),
> these files don't appear to me when I plug the mass storage in Linux
> !!!!!!.
>
> I don't know actually what the problem is, so if anybody knows the
> solution, their assistance is highly appreciated.

Have you mounted the USB storage device?  When you plug it in you should see
entries in /var/log/messages that indicate that the device has been located.
I have a USB connected flash card reader for my camera memory and to actually
use it, I do:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

(where /mnt/flash is a directory I created as a mount point).

Before disconnecting the device I type:

umount /mnt/flash

to ensure that everything has been written out.

If this information doesn't get you going then repost and add more detailed
descriptions about what you've tried.

Barry