Re: viewing/editing files at SMB locations

AFAIK, you can only do one level on NT, as opposed to say, Novell. If
you share d:\My Stuff\Really Cool\MP3\Deep Purple as
\\myserver\deeppurple you can do it, but you share d:\My Stuff as
\\myserver\mystuff that's where you have to attach.

There's a command in SMB that will show you the available SMB shares on
a box, and those are the ones you'ld use in the smbmount command. Try
doing  smbclient -L 10.1.1.12 -U <username> <password>. It should spit
out something like:

Domain=[DOMAINNAME] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        drivers        Disk
        Installs       Disk
        8100_6         Printer   HP LaserJet 8100 DN PCL 6
        D$             Disk      Default share

So, I could connect to \\10.1.1.12\drivers, but not
\\10.1.1.12\drivers\laserjet\hp because SMB just sees it to the
'drivers' depth. However, if you shared (from the NT side) the
D:\drivers\laserjet\hp as 'hp', you could map directly there.

Make more sense?

-dd

>>> redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/20/2003 5:24:10 AM >>>
Thanks again! I got the share to mount with the following
command (The other one gave errors)

# /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/smbmount  //maxxsrv/maxxess /mnt/smbmnt -o
username=jason,password=jason -u 500 -g 501

I have enabled myself to use root passwords so that I don't have to
su first. 500 and 501 are my UID/GID numbers respectively.
What I find interesting is that even although I specifically state
that the mounted files/directories are to be owned by me, the files
still get owned by root, which means I can read the share but
can't write to it as a normal user. Is there anyway I can force
the smb filesystem contents to be owned by me once mounted?

B.T.W. This share is a Windows server shared by all of the employees
here. I wanted to be more specific by mounting the share
..maxxsrv/Staff Directories/Jason, but the smbmount command could
not find that share, and it does exist! I tried quoting "Staff
Directories" and that didn;t work either. I have been at this for over
2
hours now and still no joy. Any suggestions?

Thanks a stack !!
Jason