Re: Kill user login session

ps -u "[username]" just returns this
  PID TTY          TIME CMD

and yes, I substituted the real username.  Just didn't want to show it
here.
When I run who, it shows the user on pts/2

Finger returns this
"[username]"    *pts/2    287d  Oct 13 10:11

So there are no proceses owned by the user.  I probably should
have mentioned and apologize for not doing it sooner, that the user
was remotely logged in via ssh.

Thanks
Leonard

Automatically inserted lawyer supplied blurb follows

>>> redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/15/03 09:11AM >>>
ps -u "[username]"  will show you all of the processes
owned by the user.

or, if you know what terminal device the user was logged
in at, you can use "ps -t [terminal]"

You will see output that looks similar to this (ps -u):

  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 1542 ?        00:00:00 gnome-session
 1591 ?        00:00:00 ssh-agent
 1596 ?        00:00:00 gconfd-2
 1598 ?        00:00:00 esd
 1607 ?        00:00:00 bonobo-activati
 1609 ?        00:00:00 gnome-settings-

Find the process ID in the PID column, next to the terminal
number that he was using, and type the command "kill [PID]"

If you are not sure of the terminal that the user was logged
in at, I use a command called 'finger' on my intranet UNIX
machines that shows me idle time as well. If you have finger
installed, just type in "finger" and look for your user
with the largest idle time. Get the terminal device, and then
do a ps -t on that terminal to get the process ID to kill.

Jason

**********CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**********
The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
privileged and is intended for the sole use of the individual or
organization named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended recipient, any review, copying
or distribution of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, is prohibited.
immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your system.