MD5 checksum server OS check

Hello,

It?s my understanding that it is possible to insert a Red Hat distribution
disk into CD rom drive of a server and run an MD5 or checksum test to
determine if any of the OS files have been altered or compromised in any
way.  If correct, what is the procedure and command syntax to do this?

Also if I have installed non RH software on server, how would I go about
doing checks on non RH applications to make sure those applications have not
been altered or compromised?

Thanks for any info.