Re: Is it is safe/recommended ...

Am Die, 2003-09-16 um 23.29 schrieb Muhammad Imran:
> Is it safe/recommended to install programme/packages under login as
> ROOT. I'm trying to install php/apache. It run make and install
> properly but not create any directory and php-dist.ini or libphp.a.

If you want to install the progs into its usual lacations (i.e. /opt,
/usr, /usr/local) you must have root privileges for installation. You
may login as root temporarilly, or you may type su in a console window
th achieve root privileges as a normal user.

> One other problem my postgresql is running fine I have install it
> earlier but rpm -q pgsql give message of "PACKAGE NOT INSTALLED", do u
> have any idea.

try
  rpm -q postgresql

and you should find it. Alternativly you may type

  rpm -qa | grep sql

to see all packages which are related to sql databases.

Cheers
Peter