Software Raid Conversion

I'm looking to convert an existing install on a single disk into a
software mirror w/ another disk.  Unfortunately it appears the way in
which RedHat has gone about this in v8 has changed from the 7.x series.
After following the various steps explained in the Software Raid Howto I
receive the following errors when booting a 2.4.20-20.8smp kernel w/ the
stock initrd file:

<cut - output is hand typed.. but i believe the case of the errors is
correct>
Mounting /proc
Creating block devices
Scanning logical volumes
vgscan -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

ERROR: /bin/vgscan exited abnormally!

Activating logical volume
vgchange -- ERROR: "/etc/lvmtab" doesn't exist; please run vgscan

ERROR: /bin/vgchange exited abnormally!

Mounting root file system
mount: missing device
</cut>

If anyone has a suggestion on where to go next I would appreciated it.  I
don't know why/how LVM is getting involved in utilizing my mountable
/dev/md0 and /dev/md1 partitions during a boot.

Thanks!

-Mike

--
<michael.hanulec@xxxxxxx> / o: 858.565.6699 x216