Re: downloading BIG mail folders over 56K

Jason Dale wrote:

What tends to happen is that they don't download their mail regularly, and their mail folders start growing to huge sizes. Then they try to download all 20+ Megs of their mail over a 56 K connection,
all at once. As you might have guessed, this is like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

It sounds to me like you're using the wrong email client and protocol. For 3 years I connected over 56k to an email server across the Atlantic (high latency -> lower effective throughput) and was quite successul with Netscape and later Mozilla. I was talking the IMAP server at my ISP, not using POP3.

If you've not experimented with an IMAP account, download the latest Mozilla from www.mozilla.org (1.5b has been very stable so far for me). Unfortunately they don't have RPMs yet--if you don't want to work with the *.tar.gz files, use 1.4. One of the reasons I really like Mozilla is the detailed feedback about how the download process is going: "downloading message 17 of 527". This is much, much better than how Outlook talks to IMAP servers.

Of course, you'll need an IMAP server For trying it out, sign up for a free account at www.fastmail.fm. In particular, trying setting the browser up and just fetching headers versus headers and message bodies.

Alan
P.S. I have no experience with Fastmail--I just happen to know that they offer IMAP services, and a free account...