Re: RPM hangs

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:52:47 +0200 Jason Dale <redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Thanks for the info y'all :)
>
> Micheal, I know the term 'lock files' should be fairly
> obvious, but what exactly do these files 'lock' ?
> where can I find more info on these?

I don't know the answer to this, but I have lots of trouble with rpm
so I thought I'd just share my views. (I would also be interested in
finding out more about these 'lock' files).
I am looking after about 200 linux machines and am trying to keep
about 70 RedHat 8.0 machines up-to-date with the RPMs. I simply run a
script that checks all the machines rpm's and compares them against
one particular machine. When I get an update to do I run a script
that basically updates the rpm(s) on all the machines in turn.
What I have found is that more and more frequently the script hangs
and I have to remote log into a particular machine and kill -9 the
process and let the script continue. Quite often the rpm database on
the particular machine is wrong I have to add or remove rpms
accordingly.

Anyway, recently I thought I might remake the rpm database
(removing the __db.00* files and running rpm --rebuilddb) on all my
machines thinking this might be the problem, but I am still getting
more and more machines hanging. I have even run the script using
'rpm -Fvvvh' and looking at the verbose output to see if there was
something obvious that was causing the problem, but couldn't see
anything.
The only other thing I can think of is that my rpm ffiles live on a
server and I access them through the automounter, and maybe this
causes some sort of problem if a packet is dropped or
something(clutching at straws here maybe)

I also looked after about 130 7.1 machines but never found the
problem to be quite as bad as it is with the 8.0 machines. maybe rpm
is just crap in 8.0??

Anyway that's my 2p worth:-)

Hope it helps, or someone can enlighten me!!
Cheers,
Ross

> Thanks a stack,
>
> Jason