How to configure modem in redhat-8

I am not able to configure my modem in redhat-8.
on using wvdialconf it shows the modem is on /dev/tttyS0
But when i am trying to activate the device I get messge "cannot activate the device..."
On searching net I came to know about kppp,it was said it configures modem automatically
but on setting configuration when I try to query modem it gives message cannot open device

Its dual boot system having w2k , them device is external modem(d-link) whic works finein windows.
Do i need to install some drives for modem.
Please suggest
Thanks in advance for help