Re: Fat32 support is still ALPHA

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Goldstein <greggold@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Greg> I recently installed RH8.0 on my Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop, which is
Greg> dual boot and I have 2 DOS drives mounted. I get this message on
Greg> boot-up: checking filesystems - Fat32 support is still ALPHA.

Greg> Has anyone experience with this message, are there ever any bad
Greg> effects of alpha support?

Let me guess:

    o You have an entry in your /etc/fstab for a FAT filesystem of some
      sort

    o This entry has something other than zero in the last field

Change that last field to a zero, and the message should go away.  The key
to this is that the message you get refers to *checking* filesystems, not
*using* them.

The last field in /etc/fstab entries dictates when fsck should check the
filesystem; since support for FAT filesystem checking is in an alpha state,
you get the message.  Set the field to zero, and fsck will never attempt to
check the filesystem, which means you'll never see that message again...

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/