Xfree86 Problem

CJoeB wrote:

This is where the problem starts. The next time I booted the computer (I boot in text mode, rather than having x start automatically because, if something happens like it did once before, I can at least get at my files and transfer them to my Windows mount), the boot process went okay, but when I tried to start x, x wouldn't start. I got the error message that it couldn't locate the module pcidata. I am aware that the file libpcidata.a is supposed to by located in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/ but it is now gone from my computer.

What does 'rpm -V XFree86' return? For that matter, what does 'rpm -q XFree86' return?

You may be able to use up2date-nox to re-install the XFree86 package if

The XFree86 package was damaged. How it got damaged, I don't know because I didn't delete anything. However, on another list, I was told that most people who had tried to reinstall XFree86 because of a module problem had not success. I was chicken to re-install thinking that something that had been updated using up2date would get "broken". However, I bit the bullet, reinstalled XFree86 using the --force switch and the missing module files were put back in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/ and I was able to start X again. Problem resolved.

Thanks.

Colleen

it's damaged.