XFree86 Problem

Hello All,

I encountered a problem with XFree86, the details of which follow. Please note that although I've come a way since I first started using
Linux, I am still reasonably "green" and have never encountered this
problem before, so I need explicit instructions on how to solve this if
anyone knows how.

The files attached are the XFree86.0.log file (obviously) and the
specific information on my computer (i.e. video chipset, etc.)

The events leading up to the problem are thus (please pardon the length
of this post, but I surmise that the more detail I give, the easier it
will be for someone to determine what happened and how to get it corrected):

From installation CD's, I installed Red Hat 9.0 on a computer
configured to dual-boot with Windows '98 SE. The kernel version on
these CD's is 2.4.20-8. Once the installation was complete, I added the
following software: OpenOffice.org, Mozilla 1.4 (final), the JRE plug-in and Acrobat Reader. These files I downloaded into Windows and then transferred to my Linux partition by mounting the vfat partition because I didn't have a working modem in Linux. After this, I installed the Linuxant modem driver. At this point everything worked fine. I was
able to dial-up using kppp and connect to the internet.

At this juncture, I connected to the internet and ran Red Hat's up2date
service (demo account).  There were a lot of packages that needed to be
updated and it took 10 hours to download everything by modem.  Once this
was complete, I rebooted the computer and everything was still working.
Then, I tried connecting to the internet, but the modem wouldn't work -
this was because the modem driver compiles with the version of the
kernel being used.  Since the modem driver was in rpm format, I removed
it using rpm -e and reinstalled it with the new kernel version
2.4.20-19.9 which was the updated kernel version installed from running
up2date.  I was then able to connect to the internet again.

This is where the problem starts.  The next time I booted the computer
(I boot in text mode, rather than having x start automatically because,
if something happens like it did once before, I can at least get at my
files and transfer them to my Windows mount), the boot process went
okay, but when I tried to start x, x wouldn't start.  I got the error
message that it couldn't locate the module pcidata.  I am aware that the
file libpcidata.a is supposed to by located in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/
but it is now gone from my computer.

Earlier today after browsing on XFree86.org, I searched for libpcidata.a
and found a link where I could download the file.  I downloaded it in
Windows and transferred it to my Linux partition, and rebooted the
computer.  I still got the message that the module pcidata couldn't be
located.  I also got an additional message (not included in the log file
attached) something about "minor version (7) being newer that system
version (6)".

All I want to do is put the file libpcidata.a back on my computer in the
easiest way possible.  Can someone provide direction here?

Thanks in advance and regards to all.

Colleen

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810 DC-100 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 3).
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810 DC-100 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 3).
      IRQ 9.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf8000000 [0xfbffffff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff000000 [0xff07ffff].
  Bus  0, device  30, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 2).
      Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=6.
  Bus  0, device  31, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 2).
  Bus  0, device  31, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE (rev 2).
      I/O at 0xffa0 [0xffaf].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  2:
    USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB (rev 2).
      IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xff80 [0xff9f].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  3:
    SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus (rev 2).
      IRQ 10.
      I/O at 0xdcd0 [0xdcdf].
  Bus  1, device   7, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 9).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
      I/O at 0xecc0 [0xecff].
  Bus  1, device   8, function  0:
    Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev 8).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfdff0000 [0xfdffffff].
      I/O at 0xecb8 [0xecbf].
  Bus  1, device  12, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 120).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=10.
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec7f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfdfefc00 [0xfdfefc7f].

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.3.0-2)
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-3bigmem i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 27 February 2003
Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com

	Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20-19.9 (bhcompile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Tue Jul 15 17:18:13 EDT 2003
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Aug 13 13:26:16 2003
(--) using VT number 7

(II) Open APM successful
(II) Module ABI versions:
	XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.2
	XFree86 Video Driver: 0.6
	XFree86 XInput driver : 0.4
	XFree86 Server Extension : 0.2
	XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.4
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(II) Module bitmap: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
	Module class: XFree86 Font Renderer
	ABI class: XFree86 Font Renderer, version 0.4
(II) Loading font Bitmap
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx