Re: reinstall nio 6 report

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, afme@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Michael.

Is that me, or Mr. Schwendt?  Anyway,

> Back to windoze.

???  You mean back to an nth install?

I don't know if you bought the boxed Red Hat Linux 8.0 set, or if you
burned your own CD's.  I assume the latter.  The 8.0 install guide you
find here
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide .
Bad thing is that it is not very printer friendly, i.e. you can only print
subsection by subsection.  You have another PC were you can load the
entire html manual for reference during install?  Borrow a laptop from a
collegue or neighbour?  I have the feeling you miss several things during
install, and it would be best if you would be guided step-by-step.  I
cannot judge the quality of the online help, because never needed.

> 1: Re-format ext3 partition in druid, otherwise "custom" auto for desktop

already confused.  You have chosen to manually partition with disk druid,
right?  I assume you have found the disk already partioned, because this
remained from the previous install.  That's ok, nothing bad with that.
But what do you mean with "custom auto for desktop"?  You mean package
selection?

> 2: This time muggins will report on what he found confusing in anaconda, or pretend to.

good.

> -Click in vfat dev screen, in druid, formats. Is told that he has to enter a root sign / when he has to
> press "edit", so why not just tell him that?  "Please press edit" also no advice one what the other
> squiggles mean. REDHAT sure likes stern warnings.

ohoh, hopefully I understand wrong.  You mean you formatted the device
which has the file system type "vfat"?  I hope you didn't format your
windows partition.

But to the mount points: every partition which you later want to use
(write/read data on it) needs a mount point.  To make up a simple example
(in brackets is the file system), you have a windows (vfat), a linux root
(ext3), and a linux user home (ext3) partition.  There might be other
partition proposed by disk druid, like a linux boot, well, lets take that
too.  Then the partition table in disk druid could be:

/dev/hda1  /windows   vfat
/dev/hda2  /          ext3
/dev/hda3  /boot      ext3
/dev/hda4                        "extended partition""
/dev/hda5  /home      ext3
/dev/hda6             swap

You notice that each partition (except swap and the logical extended
partition) has a mount point.  They might have been proposed by disk
druid, but if they are missing, you have to fill them in by yourself.  I
am surprised that installation can continue without having done so, but
you write below (way below) that the boot complains about "no mountpoint
found", so I assume they are missing here.

> -warned to create a bootdisk, which is a rescue disk, but no advice that this will be offered after
> install and post install config. No such advice given.

What do you mean "offered after ..."?  I'm not aware that it will be
offered a second time.  You should create a boot floppy just at exactly
this point.

>  swap file warning, where, how? and any rate it does make a swap file.

Also surprised.  Or did you forget/not know to create a swap partition?
Check the install manual.

> - clicked "config bootloader", made it DOS first and L second when GRUB showed up on reboot, got L first
> and DOS 2nd. WHY have L 5 seconds autostart ? For a migrant to L, it is sensible to have DOS first.

I try to understand.  You have two OS, linux and windows.  Linux is your
default.  But what do you do when you want to boot windows?  So, you need
the possibility to choose windows manually, and these 5 seconds give you
the opportunity to do so.

> - default firewall, when in setup agent, you can choose. What do high, medium, MEAN for Linux? no
> explanation.

There will be controversial posts.  But choose no here for the moment, and
once your system works as you expect it, learn about firewalls.  Firewalls
block certain services, and it would be another long story if you post
"this and that doesn't work", and only because your firewall is blocking
"this and that".

> - username, full name, What does that mean? Me, the dir, a command, disc ? What does "full name" Mean?
> in standard English? Usually mine, but that ain't it.

Well, you have an account name, e.g. afme.  But who is afme?  Thus, other
users can do "finger afme" (one example that can (people say should be) )
blocked by firewalls.  Or sendmail fills in "Michael Kuss
<kuss@xxxxxxxxxx>" when I send mail.

<some stuff snipped>

language, time zone, X screen resolution, are details, can be configured
later, once things converge.

> - Oh yes, when adding dirs, I first took edit, the "obvious choice, eh" but found I should have used
> add, by the usual footputting method. The n found that one had to use "add"; once "added" one could not
> "edit"; very addled.

What dirs do you want to add?  And when?

> BOOTUP<installed 1556 KB and took just udner an hour, previous was two, why? Previous times it was 1777
> What happened

You have a linux partition with >5GB?  Then, why don't you install all (at
the end of the page where you are asked to choose packages), then you have
it "all", gnome, kde, ... .

> - mentions "no mount points", during bootup: what's that mean?

this was what makes me assume that your problems start during
partitioning.

> Yeah, I read the help file, install guide and visited many URLS

Hmm, reread the partitioning section.

Hope this helps,

Michael