Compiling kernels

I have been trying to learn more about how to customize an rpm package
with features they did not compile with or to recompile a kernel.  I went
to linuxhomenetworking.com, linuxnewbie.org, and linuxnovice.org looking
for help.  I have read the man pages and I am still confused.  I am trying
to compile samba with acl support or for future just compile any package
with an additional feature or to compile kernel 2.5.70.  I have tried for
about two and a half months and I am getting frustrated.  I thought I was
having a dependancy problem so I installed the complete installation of
redhat 9, then I installed apt-get from freshrpms.net and did a apt-get
update and then apt-get upgrade and it updated every package that was
available for updating.  When I was trying to compile a kernel from
kernel.org I did these steps with no luck.  I downloaded the kernel source
into /usr/src and I extracted it.  I then ran make mrproper and ran
successfully.  Then I ran an make xconfig and chose all the things I
wanted as well as those I wanted to remove.  I chose to exit and save.  I
then ran make dep and it said it was unneccessary.  I did this because all
the guides that I have said to do that.  I did a make clean even though I
never recompiled a kernel because the manual said it wont hurt to do it
anyway.  I then ran a make bzImage.  It always runs successfully.  Then I
ran a make modules and this is where it always fails.  No matter what I
chose while in the make xconfig it does not make a difference a driver of
some sort fails the make modules.  I went threw and took out everything I
did not need, experimental, or even new.  I did them all in different
combinations and even just the default kernel straight  and it does not
seem to matter.  It always fails.  Any help would be
appreciated.psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx