Re: X Window System, Minimum Installation

Hi

I have setup many "headless" servers with a few X-apps, as long as the application's dependancies
are met they should work. I always put Nedit on my servers, it also requires "motif" libraries. If you
want to know what a program requires to run do somting like this :

$ rpm -q --requires nedit
openmotif
/usr/bin/desktop-file-install
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libICE.so.6
libm.so.6
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libSM.so.6
libX11.so.6
libXext.so.6
libXm.so.3
libXmu.so.6
libXpm.so.4
libXp.so.6
libXt.so.6

$ rpm -q --provides openmotif
libMrm.so.3
libUil.so.3
libXm.so.3
openmotif = 2.2.2-12

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/desktop-file-install
desktop-file-utils-0.3-3

$ rpm -q --provides desktop-file-utils-0.3-3
desktop-file-utils = 0.3-3

...and so on...

So in total, nedit requires :

rpm :-)

openmotif
desktop-file-utils
glibc
XFree86-libs

I hope this helps, using these methods you should be able to pair down your RPM based system.

Guy

Hattie Rouge wrote:

So if I'm not going to run a desktop on a server, just want to forward X
to my remote desktop, all I need is XFree86-libs (and dependencies)?
Cool!

Hattie Rouge