Re: Nasty little network problem

Toby <tkb9@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> With things connected as they are supposed to be, have you watched the
> what the gw M5 (I assume it's a gw ) is doing? It may be taking the

The original drawing did show it as a gateway.  I inadvertantly left
it out on the second one.  I just realized too that both drawings are
a little bit wrong in that M5 is also plugged to HUB1 or else none
could reach it as gateway.  What I labled M4 is really the 192.168.1.0
of M5.  So in fact, one of the 4 on hub1 was the gateway M5.

> packets & throwing them out on 192.168.0 net, which is the wrong place
> of course.

Trying the experiment Michael suggested.. removing M3 M4 (which is
really one end of M5) removes that as a possibility.  And in that
configuration with only M1 M2 on HUB1.  They cannot communicate.

Puting M2 on a separate HUB2 and uplinking it to HUB1 works and all
can communicate freely.

> Personally, I would just remove completely the NETWORK & BROADCAST
> lines out of the ifcfg scripts. You don't need them here - NETMASK
> 255.255.255.0 perfectly describes the network on its own.

That is a good point and good idea I think.  I found at least three
mistakes there on the 4 machines.  However, it seems not to matter.
Even with those errors (2 had mismatched broadcast addresses and 1 had a
mismatched network address) M1 M3 M4/5 could communicate freely.

Apparently the entries are not really used.