Re: Old Kernel

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Corey Head wrote:

>So I've been using the RedHat updater and keeping up to date with the
>kernels and other softwares.  One thing I'm wondering, however, is when I
>download and install these things, do they overwrite the previous versions
>or do I have a plethora of old software still residing (albeit inactive) on
>my server?

You can use either the GUI based configuration for up2date or the TUI
"up2date-nox --configure" to set the option "removeSkipList" to specify
which packages should not be removed by up2date.  You can also edit
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date by hand.

> I know I have the old kernels because when I restart I have the
>option of starting up in those previous kernel versions.  So does this hold
>true for the other software?

The removeSkipList is probably set to "=kernel*".  If there are other
patterns appended to this then packages matching those patterns will
also be retained.

> Also, is there a way to get rid of the old
>kernels safely--or do I want to?

Probably keeping the last stable version that did what you want plus the
newest one should be enough.  It depends on how your partitions are set
up.  Probably you have a 100M /boot partition and this can become filled
if you keep too many past versions of kernels there.  Best to keep at
least a known-to-be-stable backup kernel as well as the newest Red Hat
erratum.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley