Re: SMTP Authentication on Sendmail

At 11:00 5/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
I posted this question last week and got one answer, but it's quite what I'm
looking for. I was directed to #s 5 and 9 on this:
http://www.oclug.org/hints.html#mail

I tried this but it is only for IMAP connections.

You are mistaken, my friend. You are mixing different types of connections.

Item #5 on that page (labeled "Create a new sendmail.cf file") is precisely how to set up SMTP AUTH on recent versions of sendmail. Uncomment those three lines, recreate the sendmail.cf file according to those instructions, and you're good to go on the server. On the client side, make sure each client enables/checks/selects (whatever term you prefer) the little checkbox labeled "My outgoing server requires authentication." Post here if you have any further questions.

HOWEVER, this deals only with authenticating yourself in order to SEND mail (i.e. SMTP). It does not in any way have anything to do with IMAP or POP. Also, it does not implement encryption and so is not a "secure" protocol in any sense of the word. Neither are POP or IMAP, so this does not introduce any new risks.

  I'd like some sort of POP
authentication but can't seem to find anything on the web about how to set
this up.  I have users with laptops that they travel with constantly (to
multiple networks in a day) and changing mail servers every time they switch
offices is getting ridiculous.

POP already has user/password authentication, and does not require that people switch servers when they change offices. This is why I believe you are confusing different protocols.

The good news is that SMTP AUTH is precisely what you need in order to authenticate while SENDING mails, which will make the whole switching servers thing disappear quickly. So go do what #5 says above, and let us know if you succeed.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx